Zephyr Manufacturing Company was founded in 1927 by Harry E. Lindstrom in Kansas City, Missouri, and was first known as Acme Broom Company. Initially the products consisted of only brooms.
In 1937 and 1938 the Zephyr Streamline broom was developed, patented, and placed on the market. It enjoyed immediate success and was the Companys flagship product for many years.
In the early 1940s Zephyr moved to 400 West Second Street. This 34,000 square feet building was the Companys office and main manufacturing facility for 50 years. Also about this time the assets and products of the Kansas City Broom Company were acquired. This company also manufactured mop products and so the Company entered the mop business. The name of the Company was changed to Acme Manufacturing Co.
As World War II required most able manpower, it became difficult to produce the quality brooms that gave Acme Mfg. Co. nation-wide fame. Therefore, the production of brooms was discontinued although the Company continued making mop products. In 1948 the production of brooms was reactivated.
In 1946 the Company decided to incorporate. Since the Acme name was already in use, it was decided to re-name the company Zephyr Manufacturing as the Zephyr name was already well known.
In June, 1962, the Company purchased the W. W. Stewart Company of East St. Louis, Illinois. The Stewart line consisted of household chemicals, household gadgets, and natural rubber dry wall cleaning sponges. All inventory and equipment was moved to Sedalia.
The current land was exchanged for five acres at 415 Metallic Lane. A 12,000 square foot building was erected and in July 1973 all broom manufacturing and warehousing were moved to this location
In 1982 Robert retired after 35 years of service to the Company. He left behind a legacy of solid growth and expansion while also developing no less than 5 Patents on broom and mop products. His son, John, who began his career with Zephyr in 1975 became Chief Executive Officer and thus began the 3rd generation of family management.